To help your employees meet their goals and fulfill their potential, you need to provide them with regular feedback. But the prospect of sharing potentially negative news can be overwhelming. How do you construct your message so that it's not only well received but also expressed in a way that encourages change?
Whether you're commending exemplary work or addressing problem behavior, the HBR Guide to Delivering Effective Feedback provides you with practical advice and tips to transform any performance discussion--from weekly check-ins to annual reviews--into an opportunity for growth and development. You'll learn to:
- Establish trust with your direct reports
- Assess their performance fairly
- Emphasize improvement, even in criticism
- React calmly to a defensive feedback recipient
- Recognize and motivate star performers
- Create individualized development plans
Arm yourself with the advice you need to succeed on the job, from a source you trust. Packed with how-to essentials from leading experts, the HBR Guides provide smart answers to your most pressing work challenges.